SUPPORT STAFF SUPPLEMENTARY PAY PLANS
The Board of Education recognizes that it may occasionally be necessary for noncertificated persons to work more than forty (40) hours during a given work week. Whenever such overtime situations occur, the following provisions will be applicable to noncertificated persons employed in nonsupervisory positions:
1. For purposes of this policy, hours worked means all hours during which the individual is required to be on duty -- generally from the required starting time to normal quitting time.
a. Meal periods do not count as hours worked unless the individual is required to perform work duties during the meal period.
b. Break periods of twenty (20) minutes or longer do not count as work time.
2. Individuals who begin work earlier or work later than their assigned hours must receive prior authorization from their immediate supervisor.
3. The following provisions apply to noncertificated, nonsupervisory staff who work more than forty (40) hours during any work week:
a. Unless the district and the employee have an agreement or understanding in advance that the employee will be given compensatory time off for overtime work, he or she will be paid one and one-half (1½) times his or her normal hourly rate of pay for each hour of overtime.
b. If the district and the employee do have an agreement or understanding in advance that the employee will be given compensatory time off for overtime work, the employee will be awarded such compensatory time off (comp time) at the rate of one and one-half (1½) hours for each hour of overtime worked. The following provisions apply to comp time:
1) Comp time may be accrued up to two hundred forty (240) hours (160 overtime hours). Overtime work beyond this maximum accrual will be monetarily compensated at the rate of one and one-half (1½) times the individual's normal hourly rate of pay.
2) Every effort will be made to permit the use of comp time at a time mutually agreed upon by the individual and his or her supervisor. However, where the individual's absence would unduly disrupt the district's operations, the district retains the right to postpone comp time usage.
3) Individuals with unused comp time who are terminated or who terminate their employment will be paid their final hourly rate of pay for each hour of unused comp time. (If their overtime hours have not been converted to comp time, they will be paid one and one half (1½) times their final hourly pay rate for each such hour of overtime.)
4. Individuals covered by this policy are required to complete a daily time record showing actual hours worked. Failure to maintain, or falsification of such records may be grounds for disciplinary action.
* * * * * * *
Note: The reader is encouraged to check the index located at the beginning of this section for other pertinent policies and to review administrative procedures and/or forms for related information.
Adopted: December 14, 2000
Cross Refs: KG, Community Use of School Facilities
Legal Refs: Fair Labor Standards Act, 29 U.S.C. §§ 201 et seq.
Garcia v. San Antonio Metropolitan Transit Authority, 469 U.S. 528 (1985)
Advance R-IV School District, Advance, Missouri
© 2000, Missouri School Boards' Association, Registered in U.S. Copyright Office
For Office Use Only: GDBB-C.1B (4/90)